Medications with an equivalent available over-the-counter (OTC) are usually not covered through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) prescription drug plans.
Some facts to consider:
- You will not usually receive coverage for brand and generic prescription medications that have OTC versions available at the same prescription strength.
- You may still purchase the medication – either by prescription or over-the-counter – but you will be responsible for the full cost of the drug.
- Choosing to purchase the OTC version will often save you money.
- To see if a specific drug is part of the program, view the over-the-counter equivalent exclusion program drug list
- If you have questions about the program, call the Pharmacy Program number on the back of your ID card.
- Talk with your doctor before making any changes to your current medication regimen. As always, treatment decisions are between you and your doctor.
This program does not apply to members who have outpatient prescription drug coverage through their medical plan, processed by BlueSCRIPTSM.